2009年6月1日月曜日

Class Number 7 Names and Addresses

Sunday, May 31, 2009

In preparation for next week's class, please answer the following questions in your blog.

1.Are feelings, emotions and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc..?
2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. ( 10 minimum) Then, write the English translation.
3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannot be translated into English?


1. I think nonverbal communication such as feelings, emotions and facial expressions has a bigger power than we expected. Also, we can send the same feelings and emotions with each other even if we are from totally different backgrounds. However, nonverbal communication is interrupted in a different way according to the each religion, country, or personality. I suppose we have to keep in mind about it.
2. 悲しいsad、嬉しいhappy、落胆depressed、おかしいfunny、面白いinteresting、つまらないboring、郷愁nostalgic、つらいhard、つかれたtired、眠いsleepy、興奮したexcited、緊張したnervous、元気なfine、不安なtimid、恥ずかしいembarrassed、安心したuneasy、快適なcomfortable。
3. I cannot find any Japanese words which is difficult to translate into English right now. However, I always have trouble in communicating with native English speakers when I want to show my apology because they tend to show their appreciation rather than apology. Once, one American I know told me that I was always apologizing, but it is my custom. Suimasen does not mean such a bad feeling like what they expect.

6 件のコメント:

  1. I see.
    "Sumimasen" is not easy to make an interpretation. I need to check face of the person who is talking carefully.

    返信削除
  2. Sumimasen I think is hard to translate because it can be used many ways.

    返信削除
  3. It`s very intersting that the way you express about your feeling can be different by countries! I agree with your opinion about the `suimasen`.

    返信削除
  4. We can transfer it into English are "Excuse me" and "Sorry", as you know.
    this is the one way" sumimasen" in Japanese, but In english there are two ways. I have heard that it is very difficult for foreigners to use them.

    返信削除
  5. I agree with you. I think nonverbal communications are almost same in other countries, but we don't have to think they are completely same.

    返信削除
  6. Hi, I completely agree with your answer 3.
    I often do like you, and it is my custom.
    It is difficult to change it, I think.

    返信削除